Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Ruffle Scarf

I originally saw a ruffle scarf on this blog and decided to make it for my sister-in-law for Christmas.
The creative woman on the blog had recycled the material from cotton shirts which won't unravel when cut but I decided to buy fabric.
I found sound really cute and soft fabric, matching thread and some elastic thread.  I came home prepared for a day of sewing.

I have to improvise since I don't really have all the sewing accessories.
Here's what I used to "measure" my fabric...
This great magazine helped me measure out an 8" strip of fabric, and 2 smaller cook books to cut 6" and 4" strips of fabric.

Since I used fabric that can ravel instead of cotton, I had to hem everything. All 3 fabrics, which were each 2 yards long (I made it extra long since I wasn't sure how much it would scrunch up). This step took the majority of the time.




It took forever.  But the comes the fun part. Ruffles!  I placed all three strips of fabric on top of each other and pinned them.



The tutorial I used had a front load bobbin (I think that's the correct term) but mine has a drop in bobbin. To make the ruffles and give the scarf some elasticity, you have to load the bobbin with elastic thread. For drop in bobbins, load it on the machine with some tension (for front load, I believe you just loosely hand load your bobbin).  I used the yellow thread on top to match the top layer.
Ta-da! Automatic ruffles. But I hit a few road blocks. Every once in a while, this would happen:
This fabric was very thin and flimsy, the 3 layers made it think but still more difficult to sew than cotton. I'm still new to this sewing business. Do any of you experienced people out there know why this is happening?  Luckily, I was able to fix it.
I made a little flower with some leftover scraps which I hot-glued to an alligator clip. The picture above is a view of it on (me modeling it over my pj's) with the bow clip.

Time to wrap it up!






I have one more shift to work before I really get to enjoy the holidays. I hope all of you are having a great time with family and friends. We are so blessed and have so much to be thankful for, especially the birth of a Savoir who brought salvation to undeserving people. What a great gift. Merry Christmas, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment