Monday, November 12, 2012

37 weeks & More about Midwives

Big sister, Nix, and I in Claire's room

How far along?  37 and 1/2 weeks
 
Total weight gain: 27 lbs. With only 3-ish weeks left, I'm hoping to stay below 30. Thanksgiving will be my downfall :/

 Maternity clothes? I basically just wear my regular jeans or capris and a plain maternity shirt (one of about 4 that I own). That better hold up for the remainder of the time because I can't justify spending money on maternity clothes at this point.

Stretch marks? Nada. Stay away!

Best moment this week: My sister-in-law, Jamie, and I spent about 2.5 hours putting that dresser together. I was joking with her before we picked it up about how people spend hours putting these things together, "really, how hard can it be?!"... Well when it comes in a million pieces and the directions don't go in order, it takes forever!  Oh, and I loved getting surprised with a beautiful smoked bishop dress in the mail from my mom.

Miss anything: Being comfortable while in the car. Every time I sit in those low bucket seats she pushes back up into my ribs. Not my fave.

Movement: I think she's slowed down a little bit.. probably because she's running out of room. She seems to be more of an evening girl.
  Food cravings: Nothing new. I could probably live off of ice cream, pregnant or not. :)

Anything making you queasy or sick: Nope. Aside from watching the gruesome leg injury of Marcus Lattimore a few weeks ago in the S. Carolina - Tennessee game, nothing has been making me sick or queasy since the first trimester.

Symptoms: Feeling tired in the evenings. I'm sure if I had naps it'd help but, unfortunately, I'm not allowed to sleep on the job.  And when I'm home, I stay too busy nesting. 
  Gender: Girl... 50% chance right?

Labor Signs: On Saturday morning I was having a lot of discomfort - lower back pain and pelvic pressure. I just couldn't get comfortable. Instead, I got ready and ran errands with Jamie then we put the dresser together. It eventually just went away. That's the plan.. just keep going until I can't go any more.
  Belly Button in or out? Still holding on to it's concave shape, with a little lip to it. It's really funny looking. 

Wedding rings on or off? On. And getting a little looser with this cooler weather moving in!

Happy or Moody most of the time: Happy but still easily brought to tears or getting choked up with sentimental things. 

Baby laundry hanging to dry = bloomers from Aunt Jamie and a cute wubbanub giraffe I couldn't resist

Preparation: Slowly making progress in the room! Just have to bedding and curtains left to do. I still need to prep her cloth diapers but otherwise, clothes are washed and ready. Laundry has never been so fun and cute. Don't you agree?  Matt and I finished packing the hospital stuff today!

Looking forward to: D-day! (as in delivery day) 

Midwife report: Measuring right on track at 37 weeks. Baby's heart rate is in the 150s. Still positioned head down with her back facing my left side. There are 5 midwives in this practice and I've already had one of them give me an estimated weight. Since I saw a different one at the last visit, I asked her what she thought. She said she would guess the baby is about 7.5 lbs right now and expects her to be about 8 - 8 and 1/4 at delivery. So two of the five midwives have projected an 8 pounder! 



More about Midwives

I have the same conversation with people all the time and often, it's with other medical professionals (i.e. my co-workers). It goes like this:
Them: "Will you deliver here?"
Me: "No. I'll be at such and such hospital in the Medical Center"
Them: "Oh, why? Do you live out there?"  (sidenote: It's about a 30-45 min drive w/o traffic)Me: "No. It's the only place they deliver. I'm seeing the midwives out there."
Them: "Oh, so will you deliver at home?!?"

That's the part that always get me! :) I just said I was traveling to the medical center and I'll be at the hospital. So be it a medical professional or not, it's obvious that many people don't know much about midwives and the various options we have when it comes to our deliveries.  Everyone is different We have different preferences, expectations, desires, etc. So don't think that to have a baby, you have to go into a hospital, put on a hospital gown, get and IV, and lay in bed hooked up to monitors waiting to meet your new baby.  On the other hand, your only other option does not have to be to catch your baby yourself in your home bathtub. 

 My own personal preference (and to appease my apprehensive husband), is to have a hospital birth.  However, we chose to see a midwife (or midwives in our case) throughout the pregnancy. Their approach to pregnancy and birth is more in line with my beliefs: that it's NORMAL. So far I've been blessed with a healthy, normal pregnancy and have had no need for medical interventions. With that track record, I plan to have a normal birth. Our bodies are created to do this. Midwives tend to see their role as assisting or helping you give birth. Physicians are surgeons who are trained in medical interventions and know how to treat problems. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that and their skill is such a blessing to all the high-risk and complicated pregnancies out there these days.  However, I do not have a problem. I'm going to have a baby. Midwives are trained to handle complications and the group that I see is also in a practice with physicians that they can refer me to if I were in need of a c-section. 

Women and babies who deliver with midwives, statistically need fewer interventions and lower c-section rates. In a country where our rates is at about 30% right now, that's huge. Research shows there shouldn't be a need for a rate higher than 7-10%.** I'd prefer to not have major surgery!

For those that are curious, I encourage you to look into it. We are often fearful of what we do not know. Once you learn about the capabilities of our bodies, how intricately God made us, and how natural the process is, it's not as scary. For the family and friends that have been worried about me going all hippie on you and not seeing a doctor, don't be alarmed. I will be in a hospital with access to all the high tech gadgets and smart, skilled physicians but I don't plan on needing any of that.  :) 

Here's a good overview for you to lean more about midwives:
http://www.americanpregnancy.org/labornbirth/midwives.html




**Check out The Business of Being Born and More Business of Being Born Series on Netflix. I believe that's where I heard these stats. It may be a little to crunchy hippie for most of you but there's a lot of interesting facts. You don't have to jump on board but it's great information to at least question and consider what you believe and know about birth.

Disclaimer: I am in no way giving anyone medical advice. This is strictly my own personal opinion.




1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for posting this great information regarding mid-wifery, Margaret! I am soaking it all in for when its my turn to give y'all a brand new niece or nephew! I never knew how much information about pregnancy and birth that I did not know! I look forward to learning more from you and your experience, and praise God for the opportunity to have you as a sister-in-law in my life! Love you, and blog on! I am soaking it all in!
Give my love the little angel from her Aunt Jamie <3

Post a Comment