I started couponing last year around August or so. In September I decided to start keeping track of our spending and savings in a spread sheet so I can keep up with it over time. The first two months were great, then we stopped being so hard-core about it but still saved a good deal. Over the 4 moths we saved 73.60%. So here's the stats:
What the total cost should have been: $1,812.29
Geez! that is a lot of money on food for 2 people!
What we actually spent: $1,105.99
We saved: $706.30
To clarify, we buy stuff that we would actually use or eat. We don't just buy items because they're a good deal (unless I have a coupon that make it completely free). We only buy organic milk and mostly organic or natural meats and produce, which I don't have coupons for. There are organic coupons but I have not expanded to that.. yet.
Last night we caught the tail end of a show called "Extreme Couponing" on TLC. It reminded me that I am still very novice at this new hobby and it also encouraged me to keep going. The guy we saw bought TONS of stuff for next to nothing (like bought over $2,000 worth of stuff for less than $100) and gave most of it away to a food bank. I think it'd be awesome if I ever had the time and talent to get that extreme and then use the talent to give to people who are in need. It's a game and a challenge to me. It could very well explode to an "extreme" hobby but I still have a lot of learning and practice to do.
Today, I stuck to the manager's specials and found a lot of organic items on sale. Oh and I found the big bulb Christmas lights (for the outside of our house) on sale for $2 each! Next year we will have lights!
I bought all of this for $36.41 and saved $42.63. Pretty much everything was "natural", "organic" or rich in fiber so I felt pretty good about the trip.
I also bought some goodies for Nix at PetSmart. Now let me preface this by saying, I don't like cheesy closes on my dog (you dog is your own choice) but Nix has such thin hair so she gets cold in the winter. I finally found a dog sweater that wasn't complete ridiculous. It still seems silly that she's wearing a sweater but I have to be a good parent. Here's our model.. finally looking more girlie!
I'll be posting a list of some birthday freebies next time so be on the look out for that! Goodnight.
2 comments:
hey are your numbers right? 1459-959 = 707? just curious!
Love that you're so thrifty and sharing! :)
Haha. No they definitely aren't. I was trying to multitask while writing the post. I meant to add everything up and check my numbers before posting it then I forgot. I remembered that today at work where I can't access the blog. I felt pretty silly for posting the obviously wrong numbers. I can acutally add! I promise!
I fixed my spread sheets and now the correct numbers are posted.
Thanks for looking out for me :)
Post a Comment