Tuesday, July 5, 2011

A Plea for Help

I hope you all had a fun and happy 4th of July. Sorry I've neglected the blog once again. I was enjoying the long weekend with my husband and my camera has been dead. I feel the need to have pictures in every post but the charger has been packed away in some random box since we moved.  The good news is that I found it. Bad news is that I still don't have any pictures.

Here's where I need your help.

I want to become a runner.

Unfortunately, I think I'm terrible at it. I've played sports my whole life and soccer for many years which required more running than I thought possible. I got into mountain biking in college then, bought a road bike. My goal when I bought that bike was to do a Triathlon. Well, it's been about 3 years since that purchase and I have never done one.  I still want to complete at least one Triathlon (even just a sprint) but I believe the hardest part will be the running... at the very end! So that's my focus right now.


I've been running short distances every morning since we moved and I want to keep building it up. I just don't know how to start. How much is too much? Too little? Focus on time or distance?

Even though it feels like torture, I love how I feel after working out and running. I want to be healthy and in shape now and keep up those good habits.  It's hard not to get jealous when you see these mom's in the grocery stores in their workout attire, lean as could be, and probably a six pack... with 6 kids. If that's you - teach me your ways! If your body can recover that well from multiple (or just one) pregnancy then I have some hope that I can recover mine from laziness and neglect.

I want to hear from anyone and every one. Tell me the best advice you've received. What tips do you have? How do I get started? Are there programs, dvd's, apps, or other things out there you use? What gets you motivated? What keeps you going? How do you push through that wall where you think you can't go any more?

Please, please, please help! :)

2 comments:

Danielle said...

http://www.holabirdsports.com/

Once you know what shoes you should get, this is one of the cheapest places to get them. Oftentimes, running shoe companies just change the color of a certain model of shoe, and you can get the last year's model for a lot cheaper here. This is all pending on knowing which shoe you want.

Kristen said...

Sorry! I am so late to this convo! Life has been crazy for me...and I don't have a ton of advice to offer as I'm just getting into running myself, BUT, I do LOVE mapmyrun.com! I can easily map (following streets or sidewalks through parks) how long my run is for the day. It rocks! Hope you find it helpful and happy running! =)

Post a Comment